Monday, October 18, 2010

Week Two EOC: Boston Consulting Group – Video Games





Before I started to research who the cash cow is, who the dog is, who the question mark is, and who the star is.  I had no idea what the outcome it was going to be.  I have always been a Sony fan so of course I would hope that Sony would be on top.  Since I hate Microsoft I really wanted them to be the dog.  After starting my research it has told me that Nintendo is the Cash Cow.  “Now the Nintendo folks have sold about as many Wii’s as Microsoft and Sony have sold Xbox 360s and PlayStation 3s put together. They are geniuses.” http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1902208,00.html#ixzz12IpdrFwT.  After getting this quote from Time I sat and thought about it.  I have a Wii.  I never play it but I do, so it started to make sense to me.  I started to think about people that did not have a Wii and it was hard for me to think of them. 
“Sony is hoping the $100 Move component, which is due in stores this fall, will help its once dominant PlayStation 3 console get its mojo back.”http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1996129,00.html#ixzz12IsGN2eg. 
This quote totally puts PS2 in the star category cause they are still trlying. Sony is starting to realize that they are falling behind, and Wii is the key.  People want to get more family time when they play games.  Sitting on your couch is just not cutting it anymore.  That is why they came out with the new move component to challenge the Wii.  This leaves me with the dog and the question mark.  The dog is for sure the Xbox 360 they have almost not made a profit since they have started them.  The question mark has to be the phones and Ipad’s cause no one know what the market is going to hold for the future of those things. 




No comments:

Post a Comment